Impress your dinner guests with these super easy DIY napkins. If anyone knows anything about my crafting they will know that I love a high return on investment crafts which is why I flipping love this DIY napkin project.
The DIY Napkins Tutorial
Supplies You Will Need To Make Your DIY Cloth Napkins:
- Plain Napkins to customise
- Iron for pressing materialLiquitex fabric medium (to mix with regular craft paint to use on material)
- Craft paint (or you can purchase fabric paint)
- A plate or surface to mix medium and paint together
- Mini pom pom trim
- Aglue stick (for glue gun) or end of a pencil
- Pegs (these will probably get covered in glue so don’t use any laundry pegs if they are good quality plasticScissors
- Tacky fabric glue
How to make your DIY Napkins:
The Polka Dot Pattern
- First I would advise that you wash and iron your napkins. The napkins that I purchased had quite wide fibres and needed to be washed to fuse the fibres.
- Mix the Liquitex fabric medium with your craft paint or squirt some fabric paint onto a plate so that you can dab a little onto the end of the glue stick and remove any excess easily.
- Start dotting little polka dots all over the napkin and allow to dry.
- Check to see the instructions on the fabric paint or fabric medium to see if you need to press with an iron to make permanent.
The Pom Pom Trim
- Lay the napkin flat and measure the mini pom pom trim so that it will fit around all four sides easily. You don’t want to cut any pieces too short, and it’s necessary to add a tacky glue substance to the ends, so the fibres don’t fall apart.
- Grab the pegs and tacky glue.
- Start adding dots of tacky glue along the edge of the napkin and carefully press the pom pom trim along the edges.
- Add pegs to secure.
- Continue the whole way around.
- I cut the edges because mitred corners are not possible with thick pom pom trim.
- Allow to dry and enjoy!
Entertaining is expensive enough so don’t spend a fortune on fancy napkins when you can make these DIY napkins for a fraction of the price.
You can make your own stamps and use whatever trim tickles your fancy.
What patterns would you like to use for your own DIY napkins?
I’d be thrilled if you’d like to connect with me!
I use Grammarly – The World’s Best Automated Proofreader
To view all the fantastic linky parties that I link up to, please click here.