How To Decorate Your Home In The French Country Cottage Style
I absolutely adore the shabby chic style and this French cottage style, which is based a little more on a ‘heritage’ inspired look. When I think of ‘heritage’ inspired, I think of wooden shutters, old maps, maybe even an ordenance room with worn wooden floors. This dining space looks light, airy and is full of wonderful furniture and French style enamel storage!
Oh, I am a swine for gorgeous armoires! The whole ‘French country’ look is always bright, calm and full of fabulous vintage furniture and well-loved textiles.
Step 1. Go vintage – seek out vintage textiles. This style is all about lace, white linen, slightly worn linen and eyelet lace. Second hand shops are great for that.
This bedroom space is absolutely incredible! The textiles on the bed are just stunning and the use of wicker baskets are just fabulous for storage and beautiful, so that you can display them happily! I really like those little baskets from John Lewis sitting at the end of the bed.
2. Bare floorboards with an area rug give the ‘country’ style or carpeted in light or neutral colours for a more shabby feel.
I love that galvanised jug! A big bunch of white hydrangea would look divine displayed in that jug! The hurricane lantern is also rather beautiful; I can imagine a wonderful, relaxed dinner in this little château.
3. Flowers, candles and french style enamel make for great decorative items!
“Create a soothing sanctuary in your home with a neutral colour palette and accents of muted pattern and darker tones. The overall look is calm and uncluttered, leaving space to celebrate your most prized possessions. “
4. A calm, uncluttered look can be achieved with smart storage options.
Can you tell me this isn’t soothing?! The linen curtains and all that gorgeous light have just lifted my spirits! I might end up spending a fortune at John Lewis trying to recreate this look hah!
You see what light, floaty fabric can achieve?!
It’s just divine. I can imagine drinking coffee at this table, with the morning sun shining through the balcony windows. I think I want a holiday!
If anyone has been reading my blog for any amount of time, you may know that I am obsessed with claw foot bath tubs and I want a bathroom big enough for said tubs! I love this! The chair looks insanely comfortable too. In this bathroom, the bare floor boards really make the claw foot on that bath really noticeable! The detail is incredible and I love the creamy tones and worn textures.
5. Adding different textures within the bedroom and using fabric tassels is something that is so simple but can have a stunning effect on the overall feel of a room. On the bed, the linen cushion with embroidery, gives beautiful visual interest and the light tassel that hangs on the bedside table really softens the contrasting harshness of the black handle on the drawer.
6. Decorate with flowers! If you’re lucky enough to have a big garden full of beautiful blooms, you could have fresh flowers everyday. For those of us who aren’t as lucky, we could always buy this dried bouquet and display in that glorious galvanised jug (from an image further up the post). These colours are incredible! And they will last a lifetime! How fabulous. I feel so light and airy now. You can view lots of the products over at John Lewis.