We all know that after a while, you need to know how to clean a mattress! Especially after a few years, your new mattress becomes murky and foul-smelling. That’s all down to the moisture in the atmosphere and regular use.
It can be really hectic and costly to call professional cleaners to clean your mattress all the time, so a service like Amazon Home Services is ideal for me (as I’m disabled). Ideally though, if you are able, you should clean your mattress thoroughly twice a year.
How to Clean a Mattress the Easiest Way Possible!
This article is the ultimate guide to help you extend the life of your mattress without costing much. So let’s begin with the reason behind the mattress cleaning.
Why You Need To Clean A Mattress
One-third of your life is spent sleeping. And, your mattress is the best companion during your sleeping hours. Due to prolonged usage, your mattress gets dirtier from the inside than outside.
You would be shocked and grossed out to know the intruders living in your mattress. It’s nasty! Some of the common mattress invaders are stains, dead skin cells, sweat, dust mites, and bodily liquids.
Now, it comes to the cleaning process!
How To Clean Your Mattress Like A Pro:
Vacuum it First
To get rid of all those intruders, uncover your mattress and give it a good round of vacuuming.
Give special attention to the edges. Vacuuming is crucial because you need to have a clear look on your mattress to find out the areas with stains and spots.
Regular dusting is not enough to pull out the dust residing deep inside your mattress. Hence, special vacuuming is required to start with before getting into the next cleaning actions.
Target the Spot Stains
Nothing looks worse than a mattress with spots and stains. So, let’s get rid of them. Before starting to clean stains, figure out the spots on your mattress and its causes as every spot has different treatment.
These spots can be anything from coffee, wine, blood, sweat or urine causing your mattress to smell foul. Mostly, these spots are pretty old and therefore, they remain bonded strongly with the mattress fabric and end up becoming too stubborn while cleaning.
Here are a few stain or spot removing tricks for your mattress:
- Pour a mixture of hydrogen peroxide, liquid dish soap, and baking soda in a spray bottle to treat the stains on your mattress. Spray directly to the stain and use a clean towel to blot the spot properly.
- Natural enzymes cleaners like Rocco & Roxie Professional Strength Stain can be directly applied to the stains to reduce its intensity and make your mattress smell good. Also, you can use a mix of regular cleaner and white vinegar to effectively remove any spot from your mattress. But, make sure you don’t wet the mattress much.
- A potential natural remedy for stain treatment on the mattress is a mix of lemon juice and salt. Apply it on the stain and remove the salt by rubbing it using a clean towel after a couple of hours.
3. How To Freshen Your Mattress:
Use a natural deodorizer. Yeah, you guessed it right! It’s nothing but baking Soda. Take a good amount of baking soda and spread it evenly on your mattress.
Baking soda will absorb all the excess moisture from it leaving the mattress smells fresh and clean. Leave the baking soda for a couple of hours before vacuuming it up. Make sure to vacuum the mattress thoroughly to ensure a proper cleaning.
Let your Mattress Breathe
Here comes the easiest method ever to clean your mattress! Keep your mattress into direct sunlight or in open-air space to let it breathe in and out properly.
Fresh air and sunlight are to mattresses, what air is to us. Sunlight and some fresh air discharge all the allergens and dirt-mites hidden inside it. These impurities can ruin your sleeping experience. Beugh.
Moreover, sunlight will kill any possibility of the existence of moulds and mildew growing within your mattress.
You can simply stand your mattress on its side and keep it in a room with the window open. Leave in the fresh air for at least three to four hours of effective cleaning.
Protect your Mattress from Future Attacks
After such a long session of mattress cleaning, you will not want your mattress to get dirty frequently. Right?
A nice mattress protecting cover is your final trick to save your mattress from future dust and stains. The covers can enhance the life of your mattress up to a couple of years.
Besides, it always feels good to sleep on a clean mattress with a fresh smell. In addition, you can throw your mattress cover into the washing machine whenever you feel like cleaning your mattress.
Isn’t it a good idea to save yourself from the prolonged cleaning process?
Handy Tips to Keep Your Mattress Feel Fresh:
- Wash your sheets and mattress cover weekly for keeping your mattress safe from stains.
- Every 6 months, follow the whole mattress cleaning process and sleep healthy.
- Sometimes while leaving your home for some days, remove your mattress cover and keep it in open air so that it gets fresh air.
- In case of any accidental coffee or water spill, immediately remove the covers and try to get rid of the stains as wine and coffee stains are tough to remove.
- Whenever possible, spread out your mattress in direct sunlight as it kills any harmful microorganisms residing around and also safeguards your mattress against mould or meadow formation.
- Use waterproof mattress cover to protect it from any liquid spills.
A clean mattress can directly affect the quality of your sleep. Therefore, this bedding essential is very important to lead a healthy lifestyle.
Moreover, the aforementioned tips are very easy to follow and effective enough for keeping your mattress fresh for a longer period of time.