If you have decided to try Brush Lettering, you can’t go far wrong with these practice guides. There’s a free downloadable mini-guide for stroke practice and then more extensive guides with words, sayings, and tongue twisters.
This class is awesome! And yes… I have taken MANY classes. I really enjoy connecting with people, learning peoples styles and developing my own.
With this class you will learn:
- The best way to hold your pen with good form
- How to create strokes, letters, ligatures and swashes
- And how to combine the basic elements to form phrases
To master hand lettering in this class, you’ll start with form and small details, then build your way up to make your very own collection of custom goods, including greeting cards and wall art. This class is so impressive and it is PERFECT for beginners!
The entire class is just over an hour and then you have all the time to practice your basics and when you’re ready, you can take it to the next level!
I’m not left-handed but I am dying to take this class! Head over to the site and look at the video, you will see what I mean! Plus… you get TWO free classes if you buy it today?! That’s crazy! And I can’t take it. Darnit. I love bonuses and lettering!!!
“Tired of smudging your hand-lettered designs? Are your upstrokes always shaky?
Or how about shredding your brush pen tips? These are all common lefty problems and THIS class will give you all the solutions.
AFTER TAKING THIS CLASS, YOU’LL KNOW HOW TO:
- Change your mindset from “lefty frustration” to positivity.
- Use Lauren’s tips and techniques to solve the specific challenges you face as a lefty.
- Create four different styles of hand lettering (brush calligraphy, faux calligraphy, pen calligraphy, watercolor brush pen).”
The smudging stops here! Enroll in our Lettering for Lefties online class today.
“In this class, you’ll
- Be learning how to work with a paintbrush and watercolour paints
- Learn how to apply brush stroking skills to letter the full alphabet
- How to create a design layout and letter a print with your favourite quote
In this class, Jessica will walk you through how to apply brush strokes using watercolour paints to letter the full alphabet (upper and lowercase).
Then she’ll walk you through tips and tricks on how to create a design layout with your favourite quote.”
This is the type of Brush Calligraphy that I cannot wait to practice again. Using watercolours is a much cheaper alternative than using expensive brush pens.
This class is just under one hour in length and was designed with beginners in mind.
“In this class, you’ll learn how to:
- Create that brush-lettering style and take a sketched concept to a finalised design.
- Combine letters into words and define your own unique style.
- Blend colours to create ombre lettering and designs.
- With a pen tool and a wildly popular lettering style, water brush combines watercolour and lettering, and Nicole’s class teaches you how to master this style for yourself. Sketch and lay out a design, blend colours and create unique hand-lettered quotes like you see on Instagram!”
==> Don’t forget to download your Bonus! – A Free Printable Online Course Tracker
I’ve developed a complete lady crush on Peggy Dean and her fabulous classes! Her Modern Calligraphy style is one of my favourites. And the Skillshare deal above applies to this class too.
17. A Quick Image Guide by She&She on Instagram
Depending on what your handwriting is like, this guide is one of the most basic guides around and it’s excellent! If you want to improve your handwriting before you even try hand lettering, check out my post How To Improve Your Handwriting As A Grown Up With Free PDF Handwriting Guides.
18. How To Fake Calligraphy with Doodle Craft Blog
In the post, Natalie prints out a copy of Janda Stylish Script font and attempts to copy it and creates her own version of faux calligraphy using the steps outlined in the mini guides above using these Sakura Pigma Micron pens (my faves).
Don’t forget to download your Bonus! – A Free Printable Online Course Tracker
Teelah Cunningham has created some amazing Skillshare classes all about lettering. I want to make sure that you know there is a big difference between calligraphy and lettering.
20. Beginning Hand Lettering with Pretty Prints and Paper
The hand lettering post by Pretty Prints and Paper was created as a basic guide for those who were interested in creating pretty lettering for the Bullet Journal just like this one.
It’s quite a good starting off point but the main information you would need as an absolute beginner to fauxligraphy would be in the image above. Jessica also outlines Brush Calligraphy, but that’s a whole different ballgame.
I think you should pick Fauxligraphy or Brush Calligraphy and stick with one. You’ll walk away with all the tactics you could possibly need to create stunning hand lettered art work. You don’t want to get overwhelmed. Because it will happen. I speak from experience.
Lettering is all about drawing letter forms and this bounce lettering is so much fun! Hit play to see what I mean.
Don’t forget to download your Bonus! – A Free Printable Online Course Tracker. So the question is now… are you ready start learning how to start hand lettering?