Polka Dot DIY String Festoon Party Lights
Welcome to another post for the Craft Café!
I’ve been working on these polka dot ping-pong lights after discovering that it’s near impossible to find festoon style lighting here in the UK within my budget!
They cost an absolute fortune, so of course, I had to make my own!
My lights ended up being blue-white instead of warm white; luckily this was a really simple DIY project so when I get some warm white battery operated lights it will be easy to move the balls over.
You will need:
- A string of about 20 Fairy Lights (you can get them super cheap on ebay)
- Enough Ping Pong Balls (20-25)
- A Sharp Knife (Ask an adult to help you or if you’re an adult – BE CAREFUL!!!)
- Coloured Paint Pens (I used Sharpie Paint Pens bought from ‘Murica)
- Several Pencils (or sticks to attach to your ping-pong balls as the paint dries)
- A cup full of salt or sugar to stick your pencils in to help your paint dry
I took each Ping-Pong ball and used a sharp craft knife to mark an X on the ping-pong ball.
Please be careful!
I almost lost a finger! If you look on the ping-pong ball, you might see a little join where the two halves of the ball were fused together in production, just beside the join seems to be the weakest part of the ball and the easiest to poke your knife through.
You can stick your pencil (nib first) into a little hole made from your X.
Start painting your polka dots! You can use ring binder reinforcing stickers as a stencil, but those circles were huge and I wanted little polka dots.
Allow to dry, just pop the polka dot Ping-Pong balls onto your lights and hang wherever you like and enjoy your gorgeous Festoon style lights!
This is a big collage for pinning:
Time for the recap!
How to make the DIY String lights with ping pong balls:
- cut an X in the join of the ping pong balls but not too big
- use paint pens to create polka dots
- stick them on the end of a pencil to dry and stick the pencils in a vase of rice or sugar to keep them upright
- allow to dry
- poke the lights into the ping pong balls et Voila!
To view all the fantastic linky parties that I link up too, please click here.
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”