To read the full disclosure policy please click here.
A Shabby Cabinet Restoration Project
(of sorts) When you see this cabinet before I painted it, you’re going to say “but Claire, you just changed the handles right?” Wrong! I stripped the paint, treated the wood and then repainted using chalk paint. I found this cabinet on gumtree, I contacted the seller to get the dimensions and had it picked up a day or two later! I fell in love. It was the perfect width for where I wanted it to go (in place of my Ikea Alex drawers), so I got to work and over the next few weeks I had stripped all the paint and treated the wood and handles, then I took my time painting with some Annie Sloan chalk paint. I had a few more things to do to the cabinet, mostly waiting for wax to dry, then at 5 am one morning (don’t ask me why) I was wide awake thinking “IT WONT FIT!” I must have been dreaming about the cabinet and replaying everything in my head (the mind is a wonderful thing, isn’t it?!) and I must have happened upon my memory of measuring it for paper trays. I had to get up and measure the space in the room, I was right. It was 2cm too big.
Later that morning, after I had gone back to sleep… I went and looked on the gumtree ad and I realised something… it was the wrong stinkin’ cabinet. Looks a little different in the ad huh? I was gutted it wouldn’t go where I wanted it too. I must have been in a haze when it arrived (you’ll see what I mean).
I didn’t think I was going to have to do much work to my gumtree cabinet but the paint had to come off, it was awful. The cabinet was also incredibly stinky..so off I went! I didn’t want to use harsh chemicals in fear of damaging the wood and the paint came off really easily with a dull blade in my little tool.
Once I had picked off the gloss paint, I realised that it wasn’t a randomly, texture wallpaper corner like I had originally thought..but lovely carved flowers!
I really went to town, painting inside and out.
and the final result…. with a little more sanding to be done..
I was so pleased to have finished it and to have found these cool ‘castle key’ drawer pulls by Sass and Belle.
Now you’ll see what I mean about being in a haze when the cabinet arrived.
I remember thinking to myself.. “the cabinet in the photo didn’t have any sticky contact paper on the top.. hmm.. oh well!” I was too excited.
When you opened the drawers and cabinet doors, the gloss paint ran in drips down the side and backs of the wood. It was a shoddy paint job. I was kind of gutted it was going to have to require some restoration as I’m quite the lazy crafter.
It was gross, sticky and it smelt really bad.
This is the cabinet when it arrived. I know, you’re like… “meh, just the handles” but I see in the ‘after’ picture.. a lot of painstaking work!