So you want to know how to make money blogging for beginners. If you want to make money online a blog is a great way to do it. The ugly side that a lot of bloggers don’t share, is that there’s actually quite a lot of learning and groundwork to be done.
My advice is to learn as much as you possibly can before you put yourself out there. So here we ask again,
How To Make Money Blogging For Beginners:
Back Story: I’ve had a craft blog since 2010 that was really a hobby and something to keep me occupied when I didn’t have the energy to do anything else. I suffer from chronic medical conditions and disabilities which you can read about here. I set about to learn absolutely everything I could learn about blogging in that time and over the years blogging has changed completely.
When I was told that I had a misdiagnosis and I would never be cured of my illnesses, I decided that it was high time I made a real go of it. I’ve always been a type A personality and confident that I could do anything if I put my mind to it. So, in January 2017 I launched as a business instead of a hobby blog and decided to make a strategic effort to earn income from my blog.
The Reason I Decided To Go Pro:
I wanted to make money blogging and feel like I can actually contribute to the world despite being housebound and sick! My goal was to be able to make $5,000 a month after a year. Thankfully, I had been around the block long enough to have picked up a few things so I KNEW how to make money blogging.
There are several reasons why I want to share my income report with you;
- I want to show you that it is possible to make money blogging, first and foremost.
- Public accountability will be an excellent motivator for both of us (you and me).
- I want to be as open and honest as I possibly can be about blogging, it’s not all plain sailing. But if you have the energy and motivation, starting a blog is worth it, and
- I urge you to start your blog. Check out this post for a tutorial to help you start your blog in the easiest way possible.
Honestly, they may well do. This gal doesn’t as I’m far too afraid of the Tax man to lie about it!
Let’s get on to the juicy stuff; my income after my third month as a business:
£2323.26 (before Brexit it was $3090)
The Breakdown of how I make money blogging and How To Make Money Blogging For Beginners
Sponsored Posts (2), Ads and Affiliate Marketing were my earners this month. Since March, I’ve switched ad networks and my revenue has increased but the payout system is different and I’ve taken Michelle’s Making Sense of Affiliate Marketing course and made £50 of affiliate income within a week of implementing a few of Michelle’s strategies.
A year later using Michelle’s strategies;
Current Daily Ad Income From Mediavine:
If you think it’s too late to start a blog in 2019, it’s not!
Start NOW! I learned how to make money blogging and if I did it, so can you!
The 5 Things That Got Me My First $3k Month!
I’m going to tell you how you can make money blogging, but before you get excited, I want you to be aware of a couple of things:
Making money blogging for beginners is COMPLETELY POSSIBLE but it can be HARD
Have you read those articles about setting up a blog in 10 minutes? I even have one, because setting one up is the EASY part. Earning 5k in your first month? Unlikely, unless you have previous experience.
Blogging takes a lot of time and commitment in the beginning. You need a LOT of content and that content needs to be GOOD. It will require regular optimization, rewrite content, creating and uploading new imagery, find out what works and what doesn’t… it takes time.
How To Make Money Blogging For Beginners | Making The Process Faster!
1. A Blog Business Plan
I have a plan for both of my sites. It’s quite like a business plan but not as terrifying, I simplified it as much as I possibly could. It’s a planner that keeps me on track.
The plan includes:
- My ideal readers
- A post outline and checklist
- Goal setting worksheets for yearly and monthly goals
- Monthly check-in sheets
- Affiliate program and sales trackers
- A Marketing Strategy/social media strategy
- Guest post tracking
- Sponsored post tracking
- A tracker for brand contacts and people to reach out to for guest posting
- Social media and stats tracking and a lot more.
2. Set Up Your Blog To Make Money
The first thing you need to do is make your blog look GOOD.
Blog advertising always appealed to me because I am painfully shy and a terrible salesperson. Ads truly felt like a passive stream of income. I don’t like the way ads look on a blog, but they make money.
In order to monetize your blog, you need to need to make sure you are not using a free service.
Why not? Well….
- You are not going to be able to make money from a free blog
- Customization and support is limited, there are so many amazing wordpress plugins that I couldn’t live without and a free service can’t offer what they offer.
- You DO NOT OWN YOUR BLOG OR IT’S CONTENTS
Do You Want A Money Making Blog?
Your site will need to be self-hosted on a server that is CLOSE to your location, that completely allows you to customize any aspect of your website. For that reason, I DO NOT recommend Bluehost. I actively tell people NOT to use Bluehost if they don’t live near a data centre.
WordPress.org is the most popular website platform in the world. It’s free and extremely flexible and it’s what I am using for both my sites.
Although WordPress.org is free, you will need to host your files on a server (using a hosting provider such as A2Hosting). This option comes at a small cost, but you won’t be able to add ads to your website if you set up your blog the wrong way.
Reasons Why You Should Use A2 Hosting
- Get 20x Faster hosting
- Free Migration if you are on a free platform at the moment
- They are 100% Carbon Neutral
- There’s a free Hack Scan feature that keeps your site SECURE without any additional plugins (I used to use two separate plugins to perform that type of security and now I don’t need them, which made my site faster!)
- It’s the best affordable hosting for beginners if you are just starting out and you have limited resources to invest in your blog.
You just need to click on the green button Get Started Now to chose your package. I have a special deal with A2Hosting where you can get started for just $3.93 a month using code SOFAST.
Make sure you are selecting the Lite started package, it’s the cheapest and it’s all you need to start your blog.
3. Writing Helpful Content
How did writing helpful content help you make money blogging?
Great question! Writing insanely helpful content that begs to be shared (not literally), means that it actually gets shared. That means increased ad revenue and affiliate sales. But I beg of you…
DO NOT LAUNCH YOUR BLOG UNTIL IT’S FULL OF CONTENT!
By full, I mean 35 posts (ideally). It means people have pages to click on which means more traffic and income.
The ad network that I used in this month was Monumetric which is pay per impression (per view) rather than click. I have since switched to MediaVine and see MUCH higher payouts. My ad income has doubled since March which is great, but the payment structure for monumetric is odd. The balance is spread out over months, and you get paid twice monthly.
The affiliate income that I received in March was from my new favourite affiliate program, Shareasale. The best part is that many affiliate programs within Shareasale have a two-tier affiliate payout system, meaning that you can get paid per lead (per email address/sign up) and per sale. Start promoting them today ==> Click Here To Join!
If you blog in the home decor niche, check out these 25 essential affiliate programs you should consider joining today!
Do you blog about Crafting? Check out this post with 30 Affiliate programs for crafters to join.
4. Continued Blogging Education To Help You Make Money Blogging As A Beginner
As a self-employed Lady Boss, education is SO important. I’m learning on the fly. Everything is a learning experience, and I love learning new things.
>> Click here to get TWO FREE MONTHS of Skillshare for Free through my link!<<
How many FREE blogging/business classes could you take in 60 days?!
The last three things that I’ve learned about (in May):
- How to create unbelievably quick landing pages that actually CONVERT into leads and money (free video Course)
- 5 Short cuts to turn your website from zero to hero; simple hacks to improve your website so you can get more traffic and leads (free webinar)
- Brushing up on an effective affiliate marketing strategy via Making Sense Of Affiliate Marketing
The last three books I read:
- Get Over Your Damn Self Romi Neustadt (you can listen during your free trial here)
- The First 90 Days – Michael D.Watkins
- Make money with Amazon Affiliates by Carolina King & Suzi Whitford
I can’t recommend these classes enough if you are interested in creating and releasing an eBook or you’re interested in learning how to be a successful affiliate marketer.
5. I wasn’t afraid to get Help
If you’re trying to do it all yourself, it’s important that you know you don’t have to. You can hire a VA at reasonable rates, check out Fiverr for qualified VA’s in your Niche.
I know that was a long one so thank you for sticking with me! In this post, you learned how to make money blogging for beginners, but it takes hard work, determination and help. It takes a village! Sharing income reports is something that I hope to do on a regular basis; the good, the bad and the downright ugly. This blog will help you to plan a profitable business from the beginning.