How To Rock A Creative Craft Room Guest Room Combo!
Did you hear? I moved into a new house and got to makeover the master bedroom and turn it into my craft room!
We had to downsize when we bought the house, so I was happy enough to create a craft room guest room combo to save on space.
We don’t get guests very often, and when we do, I can move my craft empire to the living room.
The fact that we bought the house instead of renting means that I could do whatever the flipping heck I wanted to in this room.
Yep, 100% creative freedom!
I could paint the walls if I wanted or add a marvellous mural.
So, where do you even begin?
Step one was establishing my priorities.
For me, the craft room and home office are my priority.
That’s something I do every day and having a creative space full of natural light is good for my mental health.
Not to mention my business.
Step two, get a notebook, a pencil and a measuring tape.
Create a rough sketch of your room (like a floor plan) and measure every space.
- Every bit of wall
- The width of the windows
- Height of the radiators
- Width of the radiators
- Floor to ceiling and
- Wall to wall
It might seem like a pain in the butt, but having those measurements to hand when you’re shopping will save you so much time.
An example of a floor plan:
Step three, assess your furniture.
- What furniture do you already have?
- Do you know the measurements of those pieces?
- Will they meet your needs?
- What furniture do you now need?
- Do you need a sofa bed?
- Or a murphy bed?
- What space do you have for a bed?
How do you decide how to decorate a craft room?
Again, decorating your craft room is down to your personal style and needs as a crafter.
I have a lot of art supplies, so an Ikea Expedit storage unit (now known as a Kallax storage unit) is perfect!
- Check out some Craft Room Ideas - The Craft Room Category on this blog is a great source of inspiration!
- Or Craft Storage Ideas - Again, there's a Craft Storage Category right here on the blog or check out my Etsy Page dedicated to all things Craft Storage related*
- Pin them to a board of your own and pick some favourites
- Choose your favourite colours (use design seeds if you’re stuck for a combination)
- Check Gumtree, PreLoved* and Freecycle for second-hand furniture if you’re on a budget or Ikea/eBay*
- Get Decorating!
Related: A Shabby Cabinet Restoration Project
How To Use The Craft Room As A Productive Home Office
- Make sure that you have a good desk with plenty of storage
- Use a large pinboard* or whiteboard* to organise your thoughts and tasks. I got my giant whiteboard on eBay, with some neon UniPosca chalk markers* and Dry Wipe markers* for good measure. Initially, I decided to purchase a pack of Neon Chalk markers that were considerably cheaper than Uni Posca markers* and after about two uses the nibs were destroyed. I ended up wasting £10 and still having to buy the more expensive markers
- You will need some good lighting. I use an anglepoise lamp* (another amazing eBay purchase) attached to my Expedit (now known as Kallax*) and a desk lamp* on top of some desktop drawers* to make sure my workspace is well lit
How to turn it into a guest room that’s welcoming?
- Make sure there is adequate lighting for your guests when they’re in bed. I have a fairy light curtain* behind the sofa bed and move the lamp on top of the cupboard. This means that there’s choice if they’re reading or just getting ready for bed
- Give your guests access to free plug sockets
- Freshly laundered sheets can add a lovely scent, there’s nothing nicer than smelling clean laundry
- Add some nice scents to the room, a beautiful scented candle* or a little laundry softener rubbed on the radiators works too.
- Allow for some space on your desk or a little shelf cubby for your guests to store any items like toiletries etc
I can't tell you how excited I am to be part of this blog hop, full of amazing craft bloggers and the spaces where they create! If you're stuck for craft room inspiration then look no further:
Now you know how to create your own craft room guest room combo, do you have any more questions for me?
I'm more than happy to help, in any way that I can!
I’d be thrilled if you’d like to connect with me!
To view all the fantastic linky parties that I link up too, please click here.