Today I want to share the most recent gift that I made; a DIY photo album. Well, technically, I simply decorated a beautiful Cath Kidston photo album but it’s such an easy craft. When it comes to finding gift ideas or thinking of crafts to make as gift ideas can be frustrating.
Trust me, I feel like I’ve given and made every type of gift possible for my Mum.
A Sensational 10 Minute DIY Photo Album Decal Project
Then I received the Cricut Joy and the Smart vinyl; my tiny mind was blown. With the smart vinyl, you don’t need any of those annoying mats.
Before We Get Started, Have You Taken The Customised Craft Furniture Quiz?
So, I had to go and download the Cricut Design Space app on my device and choose some beautiful fonts that I thought would work really well on the photo album that I chose.
Before I chose the fonts, I sketched out and measured where I wanted the words to be placed, just to ensure I didn’t cut out any letters in the wrong size. It would be a waste of vinyl and a real shame. It’s worth sketching to save time and money later.
To Make This DIY Photo Album Decal You Will Need:
- Cricut Joy | Cricut Joy in the UK
- The Cricut Smart Vinyl | In The UK
- Transfer Sheet | In The UK
- Cricut Design Space App
- The Cricut Weeding Accessories | In The UK
- Sticky Pet Hair Roller (I use a washable one like this)
- A Photo Album
Current Cricut Offers:
- Cricut Joy Machines Starting at $179! Valid through 8/18
- Save 30% off Select Other Materials! Valid through 8/18
- Save 30% off Select Machine Tools! Valid through 8/18
- Save 30% off Select Infusible Ink! Valid through 8/18
- Save 50% off Select Blanks! Valid through 8/18
- Save 30% off Select Paper! Valid through 8/18
Customising or personalising a DIY photo album is an excellent gift, but be sure to actually add a few memories, just to get them started.
After I added the vinyl to this album I filled it full of images from family calendars that I’ve been saving for years.
It was a wonderful time to spend crafting and wandering down memory lane.
On the Cricut Design Space App
Use the text tool within the Cricut app to write your words. When pairing fonts, it’s a good idea to choose one script, bold or serif font and team it with a sans serif, slim font. For an in depth guide to pairing fonts, read this guide.
You can obviously change your phrase to match whatever theme your photo album has if it even has a theme at all. Feel free to use “our happy memories” as a general photo album cover; it works!
When ready, feed your smart vinyl in the Cricut Joy and hit the buttons within the app to start cutting.
You must take care weeding the words from the vinyl sheet. It’s quite stiff so you can pop it off a little, however curly ends can get stuck, bend or break. So be patient with this part. It won’t take too long.
Adding To The DIY Photo Album
Place words carefully on the transfer sheet; it’s transparent and contains grids so you can line up everything perfectly.
Use a cat hair roller on the photo album to ensure that there is no dirt or lint on there.
Flip the transfer paper over and use the Cricut smoothing tool across the back of the transfer paper.
Ensure everything has adhered together by carefully lifting the transfer paper. Do so by pulling it back slowly, so you can fix any mistakes before lifting it off.
It’s really that simple. I procrastinated on starting Cricut vinyl crafts because I mistakenly thought that it was more involved and a little more difficult than this but nope. It’s really that simple!
If you make a DIY photo album, please tag me on Instagram, I would love to see it! @hearthandmade
Liked This? Keep Reading:
- 7 Easy D I Y Halloween Decorations For The Craft Room
- 28 Terrific Things To Sew With Vintage Fabric This Weekend!
- How To Make A Stencil & 1 Crazy Simple Halloween Table Runner DIY
- [Video] Easy Image Transfer On Wood, Canvas or ANY Material + Save 10%
- 3 Places To Keep Calm And Master A New Skill During Lockdown
- 17 Ingenious Storage Solutions For Your Stunning Craft Room!