Christmas is a wonderful time a year and who wouldn’t want to try lots of fun crafts like these gift tags?!
The key to the DIY projects on Heart Handmade UK is that they’re all easy to do and won’t cost the earth to make because for a long time I was on government assistance due to my disabilities and chronic illness.
That’s why I’m so pleased to share this clay gift tag tutorial from Ayda. -Claire xo.
A Sampler from the Free Christmas Crafts Magazine; Merry Makings. Project by Ayda Algin of CafenoHut for Heart Handmade UK. Originally published December 2013.
Please rate this tutorial below and remember to Heart the post! It allows us to spread the word about providing affordable mental health resources through creativity and helps us grow. Thank you so much!
- Rolling Pin
- Cookie Cutters
Cut off a lump of clay from your packet and knead until it can be easily rolled out.
Be sure not to knead too much as the clay can become quite sticky and will more than likely stick to your surface.
- Use any choice of cookie cutter to cut your shape and carefully remove. Poke a little hole and set aside to dry.
It’s quite common with air dry clay for the edges to be a little rough; you can smooth those with sandpaper after it dries.
- Once the diy clay tags have dried completely, you can decorate with metallic pens or markers.
- Once paint or ink has dried, you can use your gold thread to string up and add your little decorative bead.
Allow your tags to dry fully before you attempt to paint, or you will destroy the nibs of your pen or your paint brush.
If you don’t allow the tags to competely dry, the clay gets stuck in the nibs of your pens or deep within the felt which is what metallic felt tip pens are made of.
Are you an impatient person?
If you are tempted to add your clay to radiator to dry faster, please beware that sucking all of the moisture out of this air dry clay too quickly could cause it to crack.
You can still use a radiator, just make sure that you are able to check on your tags and if they are starting to crack, use a little water and your fingertip to smooth the clay.
Making Gift Tags Is One Of The Easiest Christmas Crafts You Can Do
Claire again! I want to extend an enormous thanks to Ayda for creating this stunningly simple project for Merry Makings Christmas Craft Magazine way back in 2013.
It goes to show you that simplicity NEVER goes out of style
There are so many incredibly easy styles of gift tags to create, but right now I want to feature a few from here on Heart Handmade UK:
- How To Design 10 Min Christmas Gift Tags In Photoshop
- 6 Christmas Gift Wrapping Ideas To Spark Joy
- Crazy Cheap Gift Wrapping Ideas That’ll Save You Money
- 33 Christmas Crochet Patterns To Start Making Immediately
- Want To Make A Christmas Sign On Wood? It’s Easier Than You Think
Please remember to Heart this post (bottom right) and share it with your friends to help us spread the word!