Of course, regular visitors will know that I’ve shared these handwriting practice sheets for adults many many times, as I’ve had to retrain my handwriting twice in the past decade due to injury and I want to share some tips to help make the process easier!
The excellent news?
It’s really easy to do. You just have to be patient.
Scroll down to watch the video; it starts on the movement drills and shoulder exercises you should do!
✏️ 5 Fabulous & Free Handwriting Practice Sheets For Adults
Many people think that they need to improve their handwriting if they want to learn hand lettering, while it helps, it is NOT necessary.
If you want to learn hand lettering, I highly recommend signing up to a platform like CreativeBug (click here to claim a 2 month free trial) or Skillshare (2 week free trial) and start taking a lettering class sooner rather than later.
Both platforms have some incredible classes that are highly rated.
Additional Resources To Help You Improve Your Handwriting
- Bullet Journal
- or Rhodia Dot Pad/Grid Notebook
- The Printable Worksheets above
- This Handwriting Class which you can take for FREE!
- Fineliner Pens (I use these pens over micron and prefer them as I tend to put too much pressure on the nibs and they disappear)
- or a pencil (great if starting out, however, learning to embrace your mistakes and learn from them instead of erasing is great for marking your progress)
- Sharpener (if you are using a regular pencil but I prefer a mechanical pencil)
- Retractable eraser
Movement Drills To Help You Improve Your Handwriting:
- Shoulder rolls; bringing the shoulders up the ears, rotating them clockwise and anti-clockwise.
- Drawing shapes: lines, circles, triangles, etc.
Different ways to practice and improve your handwriting:
Practice the movement drills over and over again; I like to use scratch paper.
You are doing this to learn muscle memory with shapes - all of which are in the letters.
Practising standard alphabets and letter forms are great ideas to identify problem areas and improve quickly.
You can write to practice. Write lists, write song lyrics, a speech or your favourite quotes. Here is Pinterest board packed FULL of motivational quotes for you.
Some great handwriting books to help you improve your handwriting:
- Cursive handwriting workbook for teens
- Cursive handwriting workbook for adults
- Spencerian penmanship
- Penmanship made easy
A note on hand lettering:
You might be reading this post hoping to improve your handwriting so that you can start to learn hand lettering.
That's what I did back in 2010.
Improve Your Handwriting with Different methods of learning hand lettering:
Depending on the type of hand lettering you wish to learn will depend on the methods you choose!
Best Hand Lettering Books:
- Creative lettering and beyond
- Creative Lettering - Jenny Doh
- More Creative Lettering - Jenny Doh
- Complete Book Of Chalk Lettering
- Botanical Lettering
- Adventures In Lettering
I love lettering classes, and it's my passion for lettering and practice that got me published in Jenny Doh’s most recent book Creative Lettering for Kids.
I'm so excited to have gone from having to completely retrain my handwriting in 2012 (after suffering nerve damage) to being published for my lettering skills!
It feels amazing.
✅Reader Special: Skillshare is offering an exclusive TWO free weeks of Skillshare Premium (instead of one month!!!) to you, my lovely reader, so sign up and take a handwriting course for FREE!
I hope the tools and tricks about how to improve your handwriting have helped you on your way to beautiful handwriting!