So you want to improve your handwriting? It really is easy, it just takes practice. I’m sure you’re thinking “yeah, sure.” I’ve managed to completely retrain my handwriting twice in the past decade. The first time was because my handwriting was like a chicken scratch and I had an interest in calligraphy and hand lettering.
The second time I retrained my handwriting was due to dislocating my shoulder after a seizure. During the dislocation, I did some damage in my neck and completely lost grip in my right hand.
Easily Improve Your Handwriting As An Adult!
The basic kit to help you improve your handwriting:
- Printable worksheets (see below) + binder to store them (I like these Amy Tangerine binders for handwriting and lettering practice)
- Bullet Journal
- or Rhodia Dot Pad/Grid Notebook
- Fineliner Pens (I use these pens over micron and prefer them as I tend to put too much pressure on the nibs and they disappear)
- or pencil
- Sharpener (if you are using a regular pencil but I prefer a mechanical pencil)
- Retractable eraser
I’m a complete sucker for a thin-nibbed pen. It makes my writing so much nicer and I find the ink flow much easier to control. Is great for lettering, projects and writing on the front of envelopes (because of the nature of the ink).
Practice sheets for:
- Brush lettering
- Hand Lettering Practice Sheets | 10 Ways to Hand Letter the Alphabet
- Handlettering 101 Practice Sheets & Tips Bundle PDF
- Letter Style: Lettering Alphabets with Practice Words
As you are supposed to write using your shoulder, it’s best to warm up the shoulder before you are due to write anything.
- Shoulder rolls; bringing the shoulders up the ears, rotating them clockwise and anti-clockwise.
- Drawing shapes: lines, circles, triangles, etc.
Now I’m going to completely contradict what I just said.
This is a quite a thick nib for me (1.0mm) but honestly, it is the nicest pen to write with. Even if it does make my writing much larger than necessary. It’s so smooth! I highly recommend these pens to anyone and everyone. The hot pink ink is from the Gelly Roll Moonlight pack linked above.
Different ways to practice:
Practice the alphabet, over and over again. You will soon discover which letters you have problems with.
I suffered nerve damage in my neck which affects my writing, even with practice. You can see the problem letters I have in some of these photos.
When I’m experiencing the same issues, again and again, I practice the problem letters repeatedly until I’m happy.
You can write to practice. Write lists, write song lyrics, a speech or your favourite quotes.
Check out this Pinterest board of great quotes.
Depending on the style of handwriting you want to improve will depend on the books you should get.
Print writing is much easier to develop than cursive, but both skills are worth developing.
Some great handwriting books:
- Cursive handwriting workbook for teens
- Cursive handwriting workbook for adults
- Spencerian penmanship
- Penmanship made easy
A note on hand lettering:
You might be reading this post hoping to improve your handwriting so that you can start to learn hand lettering.
That’s what I did back in 2010.
Handwriting and hand lettering are two different things.
Hand lettering is more akin to drawing letters.
- An extra line on the downstroke
- Colour in the space
Different methods of learning hand lettering:
Depending on the type of hand lettering you wish to learn will depend on the methods you choose!
Best Hand Lettering Books Books:
- Creative lettering and beyond
- Creative Lettering – Jenny Doh
- More Creative Lettering – Jenny Doh
- Complete Book Of Chalk Lettering
- Botanical Lettering
- Adventures In Lettering
Online courses for Hand Lettering:
I’ve shared loads of hand lettering classes on this blog because I’ve taken loads!
I love lettering classes, and it’s my passion for lettering and practice that got me published in Jenny Doh’s most recent book Creative Lettering for Kids. I’m so excited to have gone from having to completely retrain my handwriting in 2012 (after suffering nerve damage) to being published for my lettering skills! It feels amazing.
✅Reader Special: Skillshare is offering an exclusive TWO free months of Skillshare Premium (instead of one month!!!) to you, my lovely reader, so sign up and take a handwriting course for FREE!
A peek at my Bullet Journal turned Handwriting practice book & journal where I practice alphabets
I hope the tools and tricks about how to improve your handwriting have helped you on your way to beautiful handwriting!
I use Grammarly – The World’s Best Automated Proofreader