10 Things I Wish I Knew Before Moving From Blogger To WordPress
Did you know… there are ten things you could do for your blog today, that would mean you see hardly any growth in traffic for about two years?!
You can start a profitable blog for as little as $5.95 a month! Making it one of the cheapest businesses to start. Fo’ Reals.
I’ve covered the basics for you in my post, How To Start Your Blog With A Bloody Great Bang! or there’s full step by step tutorial with video to walk through set up.
Hire A Pro (Unless you are super happy to do it for free)
Use Frameworks, Don’t Butcher Free Themes
Frameworks provide all the custom functionalities that could make your blog AWESOME.
Such functionalities can be extremely useful to have on a WordPress site!
You Might Lose A Little Traffic
It took longer than expected to get the traffic back.
I wish I had started on WordPress. Using the Genesis framework and got a freelancer/code genius to check it all looked legit and launched my blog launch party!
SEO Plugins Aren’t Actually As Scary As You Think
One Of The Most Awesome Things About WordPress is the extensive Plugin Library
Blogging Isn’t Free
While that fact terrifies me and I’m not Money Bags McRich Face, I think that you should set aside some money to invest in your blog.
You need a well thought out plan.
You’ll hear about it on the news.
Start your newsletter early! Like Immediately
Douglas Karr, writing on the Marketing Tech Blog, about his list of over 100,000:
Without a doubt, our email list is the best investment we’ve ever made.
Update: As of 15th October 2016, my current subscriber number is 12,329
I never really wanted to invest in an e-mail list before but I’m so glad I did!
I’m definitely into writing my newsletter each week.
The most recent e-mail was a #SuperSecretPost.
Especially for my BBF’s (Best Bloggy Friends)!
You need to be social
You need a strategy.
- Hire a pro! Someone with good references. Make sure you check them!
- Seriously use a good framework and theme to match! Don’t butcher free themes.
- You might lose a little traffic, but that’s not always the case.
- SEO Plugins are not as scary as you might think.
- Plugins can be excellent but be wary of all the blog posts suggesting plugins – you don’t need too many.
- Spend money to make money
- You need a well thought out plan
- Be social
- Get a strategy
- Start your newsletter early! Like immediately
If you want to read how to start your blog THE RIGHT WAY then you should view my most recent blogging post: how to start your blog with a bloody great bang! The reasons outlined in this post are all of my reasons for advising you START your blog on a self-hosted WordPress site.
A Note On Bluehost
It could save so much money in the future, and it can cost as little as $3.95 through a hosting company like Bluehost. (That was the regular Bluehost link but if you decide to go to Bluehost for your hosting needs, I would really appreciate if you went via my affiliate link! Thank you so much!)
Bluehost fits perfectly into most WordPress hosting needs. It can handle any suitable medium traffic site quickly. (Don’t forget to download a caching plugin, more about that later). A Bluehost WordPress hosting package should be at the top of anyone’s list.
There are many reasons why you should choose Bluehost for your WordPress blog and I honestly believe they are one of the best web hosting providers. They helped me so much when I was moving my blog from blogger to WordPress.
ANYONE can create a WordPress blog easily. Bluehost makes it very easy to create a WordPress blog.
- It’s easy to use.
- You get a FREE blog domain.
- Bluehost offers a refund guarantee, but if you have any issues, drop me an e-mail using the box at the bottom of your screen and I would be more than happy to help you.
- You will be self-hosted. If you want to monetize your blog, then you will want to be self-hosted.
Related: How To Monetize Your Blog!
- Your blog will appear much more professional to readers, PR companies and brands if you are self-hosted on Bluehost than being on Blogspot.
- Bluehost is an extremely affordable web hosting option if you’re starting out. You can have a blog of your own and the only real expense you need to pay is the cheap blog hosting which starts at just $5.95 per month.
- They technical support 24/7. That is SO important when you live in the UK or Europe and they’re based in America.
Are you freaking out because of all these things that went wrong with me? Don’t be. I made the mistakes so you don’t have to!
Have you moved from Blogger to WordPress and had zero problems?
Are you about to make the switch?
Have you even started a blog yet? Or are you still thinking about it?