When it comes to buying a sewing table, there are things that you’re going to need that you won’t even realise just yet. There are so many types of accessories, ways to store said accessories and additional machine storage. Knowing exactly what to look for is half the battle. So, don’t worry, we’ve got you covered in this guide.
After you review this, you’ll be armed with all of the necessary information you need to make a firm decision. So let’s get started.
The Ultimate Sewing Table Guide + Sewing Machine Table Options
Transform the way you sew and be much more productive with the right storage and sewing machine table.
Sewing Table Essentials To Consider:
How Much Space Is Available?
It doesn’t matter if you sew in your dining room or the corner of a bedroom. Ultimately, you don’t want to buy a sewing machine table that will take over the entire room, but it is important that you get a table big enough for your machine, accessories and space to move your fabric.
How Big Should A Cutting Table Be?
Ideally, your cutting table should be approximately three feet wide, four feet high and at least six feet long. You should also have easy access to your supplies, which is what I will repeat and repeat and repeat. It’s essential. Don’t just buy a bare bones table; like a pasting table that painters and decorators use. You need easy access storage as the tabletop will be for your fabric. If you don’t have a lot of storage space, you can go up the walls and store threads or bobbins.
How Tall Does Your Sewing Table Need To Be?
The Dreambox Craft cabinet has a desk that can be adjusted to different heights and it has an additional Sew Station that attaches with a recessed table. Choose whatever will be the most comfortable for you.
Is There Space For Additional Machines Or Accessories?
Do you even need that type of space? If you love to sew, you may end up purchasing overlocker machines or even embroidery machines. You will need some form of built-in storage so you have easy access to the sewing tools that you use frequently.
When I moved house and had to get rid of the desk that attached to my Kallax unit, my crafting pretty much stopped. The supplies went in the large unit and it turned into a black hole. It was a pain in the butt getting supplies out because I was exhausted before I even started, so I stopped.
That’s how important built-in storage is.
What Color Of Sewing Machine Table Should You Buy?
Keeping the colour scheme of your current sewing space in mind, you can either choose to match with your current furniture or with complimentary-colours. There are some stunning pastel shades available with some sewing machine table brands that I adore! Alternatively, the Dreambox comes in white, shaker grey and chestnut brown.
What Type Of Surface Would Your Ideal Sewing Table Have?
Truthfully, it doesn’t really matter whether your tabletop has a painted finish, includes grooves or has a laminate surface. When sewing, you shouldn’t experience many stains, which would be the main concern when it comes to protecting tabletops. It’s merely a matter of preference.
Is It Strong Enough To Hold Heavy Sewing Machines?
I’m not shy about sharing how much I love the quality and sturdiness of the Dreambox. So you can guarantee SewStation is at a similar standard.
Sewing Desk Options:
“With the Sew Station, my sewing machine is the highlight. You don’t get distracted by any mess”
- Recessed machine position
- Electric lifter to stow machine away
- Two table leafs for a large workspace
- Latch system to lock to DreamBox
Starting at $1,299.00
The ultimate craft haven
“Finally all of my supplies are all together in my own craft workspace.”
- It’s an entire craft room in one cabinet
- 85,000 cubic inches of storage space
- Up to 80 InView™ Totes for your favourite supplies
- Huge sewing table that can be adjusted to two separate heights
- Integrates with all other Original Scrapbox Furniture
Starting at $2,199.00 or as low as $70.95 / MONTH with a limited time offer of 0% apr!
7 4.7 Star Reviews
“Excellent quality however if you are not handy I would suggest paying the extra to have it assembled”
- Has an expanding drop leaf to prevent fabric falling on the floor
- Large pull out drawer has plenty of space for accessories and some bolts of material
- There’s a recessed option to lower the machine
- Pre-Built Service is available
- Additional joey units can fit with this piece of furniture
Starting at $1849
11 5* Reviews
“Great addition to my sewing room. I can finally get the sewing room design I have wanted.“
- There’s a pre-built service available
- Enormous drawers that are ideal for storing fabric and or tools
- the top of the cabinet folds over on two leg supports creating a stable and spacious cutting surface
Starting at $1699
420 4.6 Star Reviews
“This craft table will work perfectly for me. I bought a new computerized sewing machine and needed somewhere to put it rather than on my dining room table. I’ve also decided to take up quilting so I needed a table with some room for that. It’s not a piece of oak furniture but for the price it’s great! It has a place for the sewing machine underneath which frees up the top for quilting, cutting fabric for sewing or anything else. Plenty of room. I’m very pleased!!”
- Drop leaf provides extra workspace for sewing or crafts
- Each tray has four dividers
- Two adjustable interior shelves behind right door
- Bins are attached to the left door
- Sturdy enough to roll across carpet flooring
- Storage behind roll-open door includes two storage bins and hidden shelf for sewing machine
- Melamine top surface is heat, stain, and scratch-resistant
- Easy-roll casters
- Extension: 20 lbs.
Starting at $214.99
Average 4.5* Product Reviews
- Cute gingerbread-style vintage design
- Had two big drawers and additional smaller cubbies
- There’s a Quilt Leaf available to purchase but that’s optional
- Holds HEAVY machines! Up to 20.5kg/45lbs
Starts at $899
With special thanks to SouthShore for the image
30 5* Reviews
“ I made a quick ironing area for quilting on the top of the sliding drawer. I recommend sticking plastic runners on the bottoms of the two end pieces before putting them together with the top to make the desk easier to move.”
- Cottage style with grooved doors
- Very sturdy
- Abundant storage
- Spacious scratchproof and water-resistant top
Starting at $389.99
Average product rating 4.6
- Store another machine
- Iron, cut and sew in one spot
- Drop leaf table keeps large projects from pulling or laying on the floor
- Door bins, one large and two small, for additional storage
- There’s a caddy with 2 small drawers
Starts at $999.99
10 4.3 Star Reviews
“Love It!!! Was easy to put together and set up. A nice looking addition to my room with great storage space”
- Premium and thick MDF frames provide enough support.
- The folding sewing table is space-saving for a small place.
- Casters with a brake for keeping the table in place.
- Easy access 3 storage bins for sewing tools. Extra storage shelf for a sewing machine.
- Door with a knob for convenient putting out and in.
- Multifunction design can be used as a computer desk.
- The spacious desktop provides enough space for you.
- Easy to assemble.
Are you ready now to make a firm decision about which sewing table you’re going to buy? Do you still need some advice? Feel free to leave a comment below with any questions you have and I will respond ASAP!